Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Argentine attractions

Hi friends! I just realized that I get to write this in English! Excellent. So things are going well here in Argentina. I live above one of the Christian covenant churches in the area, along with my teammate, Lindsey, the pastor, his wife, and their two boys. Pastor Fabian's wife, Patricia, is presently in the United States, visiting her brother and his family. She will return to La Plata on February 4th. I was informed today that she will be able to speak with Lindsey's home church, Salina First Covenant Church, on February 1st I believe. Salina First Covenant Church has been here multiple times to help with projects. She is excited to share with them their God-given dreams for community outreach through the 'Predio.' Predio is the Spanish word for 'property,' and the name given to a beautiful piece of lush, green land in the midst of a predominately gray neighborhood, owned by the Covenant churches here in Northern Argentina. I'm so excited that they will get to meet her, and that she will be in Kansas! I'm hopeful that my beloved grandparents can meet her as well. Any of you Kansas folks that would like to take a road trip to Salina that day, I would encourage it! I mean she's there! It's incredible. God alone knew what he was doing when he united our paths, and I'm so glad he did. (I will update when I know more details about Patricia's trip to Salina).

As far as sharing the gospel with my fellow Gentiles in Argentina goes, there is much underway. This month, Lindsey and I continue to study Spanish independently, as our newfound teachers at 'Mil Voces' (One Thousand Voices) have gone on their Southern Hemisphere summer vacation. On January 8, 9, & 10, one of the Covenant Churches is having a youth conference called Nada es Impossible which we'll be helping with. Their church has an abundance of youth attending, most of whose parents do not. 

February we'll be doing some community outreach in this neighborhood, along with all of the churches, in an effort to draw them to an evangelistic campaign happening at the Predio in March. Also in February, Scouts starts back up. Scouts is the church I attend's youth outreach club. February 5, 6, & 7, will be the all-day and night Scouts camp at the Predio, to kick off the year. Lindsey and I have plans to teach them kickball, and some English songs. 

Our longer term plan for gospel sharing is to involve the youth in making bracelets used as tools to share the gospel. They can take one or two to give to a friend, and the rest Lindsey and I will take with us on our monthly trips to Irigoyen (6 hour car ride to town of the fourth covenant church in the area). Irigoyen is a sleepy rural town of about 1,000 people, which to me, seems devoid of the love of God. Our vision for sharing the gospel in Irigoyen is only the beginning of what will likely spread to La Plata. 

¡Dios te bendiga! (God bless you!)

Staci

No comments:

Post a Comment