Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Showdown

One of my favorite things, is when Spanish speakers ask me what something in English means. Since the United States is the primary supplier of their movies, music, and video games, they have a few questions about the names of songs they listen to, or video games they play.

One of the most difficult to translate was the song by The Black Eyed Peas, 'Imma Be'. 

One of my favorite's was a video game called Smackdown. :) As you can imagine, I gave the inquisitive young man the most accurate description of a smackdown that I could. Namely, through charades. One hand smacking down, accompanied by the classic sound, 'WhAAAPsh!' He thought that was pretty funny.

And finally, my favorite English word to translate was Showdown, the name of a video game. 'Es como asi (it's like this),' I say, and I commence with my game of charades. I slowly swagger toward the entryway, reach both hands to my hip holster, about face, and let loose on my rounds. The boys burst into laughter with the delight of their new, full understanding of the term, 'showdown.'

Happy to help, happy to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment